quota on hammer (was: Re: HAMMER status WEF March 2009 - outsider viewpoint)

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Mar 5 03:20:54 PST 2009

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:30:52 +0100
"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode at fs.ei.tum.de> wrote:

> Bill Hacker wrote:
> > -- limited/no ability to enforce quotas / prevent overflow damage.
>
> I think Bill is hitting an interesting point here, which I'd like to
> discuss lightly:
>
> What is "quota" on hammer?  Is it what "du" reports or is it what
> (including history) is stored on the HDD?  I think we need to make a
> choice here before we can implement quotas.

	Given that the main purpose of quotas is to protect against a user
filling the filesystem I think it has to be the actual storage including
history.

	This leads me to the thought that it may be useful to be able to
selectively throw away the history for a selected file, it's probably too
messy though given the presence snapshot symlinks.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun