Dragonfly BSD and virtual machine | GSoC 09 ...

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Mar 28 10:44:45 PDT 2009

:Hi all,
:       This is Dipak. This is my 1st post on dragonflybsd :)=20
:       I'm thinking about two ideas for GSoC 09. Out of which one is posted=
: on your(I'm sorry, OUR) gsoc 09 page and one isn't.=20
:
:       Posted one: Porting Valgrind, Is it possible for anyone to explore a=
:nd tell me what might be extra effort one need to do to port it to DragonFl=
:y? Atleast some points so that I can get start. Or you can redirect me to s=
:ome reading materials | [posts etc.=20
:       Other idea (non posted one) : (Serial/RS232)Terminal library | debug=
:ger.=20
:       You may be knowing that these days, bsd is capturing embedded area t=
:oo. I wanted to make terminal library that one can use very handly to conne=
:ct to any mini/sbc(single board computer)/embedded module | device  etc. e.=
:g. lets say we want to test GSM module. In this case using serial library o=
:ne can interact with GSM within mins. No need to write all terminal related=
: code. Also one can debug device attached to serial port using special fuct=
:ions remotely. This is very useful as debuging onboard has some restriction=
: because of both space and time complexity.=20
:       One can use this library to recover dead bricked devices at some sta=
:ge too.=20
:
:       Is there anyone help me to refined my ideas? Any kind of suggestions=
: are welcome.=20
:       Thanks already! =20
:                                    =20
:--
:Dipak Chirmade,
:Student,=20
:H=C3=B6gskolan i Halmstad, SE.=20

    Well, I think valgrind might be too easy a port to be worthy of a SOC
    project.  Your terminal library idea is more interesting but it is very
    generic... in the embedded world every device is different, so writing
    a terminal library is not going to be much of an improvement over
    writing a direct interface unless you also write modules to go with the
    terminal library to work with particular devices.

					<dillon at backplane.com>