AHCI driver progress report - hot-swap PM and parallel probe!

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sat Jun 13 21:56:54 PDT 2009

On Sun, June 14, 2009 12:04 am, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> That's a bad idea.  The longer you wait, the greater will be the
> install base that is using AHCI hardware with non-AHCI drivers, and
> the more people will have problems with upgrades in the future.

Thinking this through - people with existing, working machines may or may
not have AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS, so they wouldn't be affected
anyway, and machines without a legacy option wouldn't be unable to
install.

My experience with newer AHCI machines is limited, but it sounds like
Constantine is right, and as long as it's documented, change now is less
pain than change later.  I hate to push a feature that's working this well
off to a future release, too.