Packet mode for boot0/mbr

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Jan 7 19:32:32 PST 2009

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Hey,
:
:I'd like to switch on packet mode per default for boot0 and mbr.  Please =
:raise objections soon.
:
:cheers
:  simon
    After the release?  Changing the packet mode default would almost
    certainly cause some machines to fail to boot even if it allows
    other machines to boot that couldn't boot before.
I think the hard drive size limitation is around 8GB for CHS.  Any larger
drive will have to use packet mode anyways.  The problem is that even for
smaller drives/reads below 8GB if OS and BIOS don't agree on CHS, booting
won't work.  Packet mode is really a stone old interface by now.

cheers
  simon
--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /