pkgsrc bulk build profile

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Mon Feb 23 06:02:45 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:47:17PM -0500, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> I recall Joerg had mentioned using VMWare to put multiple hosts on a
> single machine, and then using pbulk's internal distributed build method
> to spread work between those hosts; that may be possible on this system
> if/when Qemu works on DragonFly?

The overhead of using VMware on Linux was in the area of 50%. On a 4
core machine, this made the build overall faster than running native.
At the time (smaller pkgsrc tree), the full build needed around 4 days
on a Dual Dual Core with 2GHz.

For comparision, a box I am currently borrowing for stress testing is
doing a full bulk build in 20h (Intel Dual Quadcore), under NetBSD
5.0RC2, including idle time due to running out of jobs.

Joerg