Repository changes coming up

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 00:44:33 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Matthias Schmidt
<matthias at dragonflybsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:
>>
>> Should we import certain version of git into base system?
>
> Do we really need to import git into the base?  Users which are upgrading from
> a non-git release could use the pkgsrc version and for new users (e.g. after
> 2.2) we can install the pkgsrc git package during the CD bootstrap.
>
> Maintaining git in the base adds another third party piece of software we have
> to maintain.  If we take it from pkgsrc, we don't have to care about updates
> etc.

My concern are:
1) git is kept developping, but we obviously do not need to keep
tracking it (I think they have made some "big" change in 1.4->1.5).  I
don't think keep tracking a floating target is good for a project's
SCM.
2) No tool after the default install could check out the default repository?

Best Regards,
sephe

--
Live Free or Die