HEADS UP - Another media change for HAMMER

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat May 17 13:48:19 PDT 2008

:Superb! Exactly what I was waiting for! And this would also solve the
:pruning "problem" we discussed a few days ago -- pruning of files that
:are located in a directory -- and that very efficiently.

    I don't think it solves that particular issue completely, but it will
    definitely make scanning the directory tree run a lot faster.

:Do you already have an idea how those filesystems-within-a-filesystem
:are maintained? In ZFS I can create filesystems like:
:
:   zfs create tank/usr
:   zfs create tank/usr/obj
:
:Would there be a similar tool for HAMMER, or is each directory basically
:a filesystem on it's own? The latter would mean that there is no need
:for such a tool, leading to less administrative overhead.
:
:Regards,
:
:   Michael

    There would have to be a similar tool.  We don't want each directory
    to be a filesystem unto itself by default as that would preclude doing
    things like, renaming files between directories.  Also, each logical
    filesystem would have its own object ID space (required for future
    replication), so it would become a real mess if we did that by default.

					<dillon at backplane.com>