[amd64] reusing FreeBSD code

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Wed Jun 18 20:19:42 PDT 2008

On Wed, June 18, 2008 3:29 pm, Jordan Gordeev wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm the GSoC student doing the amd64 port.

You may have already seen it, but:

http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/index.php?s=amd64

I have links in the Digest to Noah Yan's AMD64 work, some of which is
already committed.  I think Noah had some uncommitted work that was
available as a patch.  Some searching leads me to this git repo, which may
have newer code than what's committed:

http://repo.or.cz/w/dragonfly/port-amd64.git

I think Noah Yan's strategy was to work from the FreeBSD source, adapting
it to the changes in DragonFly as he went along.

Here's a post with Matt describing some of the inital steps; I think it
still applies:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2007-07/msg00016.html

Also:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-08/msg00147.html

My Digest posts probably don't catch everything; Noah Yan was active
during late summer/fall of last year, so looking through 2007/07 and past
on kernel@ will see some of his work history.

Is it possible to compile a 64-bit vkernel to test this stuff?  It would
make life easier, but I suspect it can't work realistically without having
a 64-bit "host" kernel.