vkernel configuration

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Jun 10 12:44:04 PDT 2008

:Hello,
:
:If I wish to compile and build ATA  for a virtual kernel, I assume all
:I would have to do is add the lines
:
:device ata
:device atadisk
:
:in the configuration file (VKERNEL) and build the virtual kernel.
:Although this doesnt compile completely and gives me errors. The
:errors do not appear when I build a kernel using a GENERIC
:configuration file, where the devices are all present.
:
:Would I have to disable the virtual disks in the VKERNEL config file?
:Or am I missing something else here?
:
:Nirmal

    The VKERNEL does not have any PCI infrastructure, I really doubt the
    ATA driver can be built under it, let alone tested.

    I recommend making a copy of the virtual disk driver and using that,
    and creating a general infrastructure for the project which then works
    with both the virtual disk driver and the ATA driver.  That way you
    can test the infrastructure with the virtual disk driver to work the
    bugs out, then test on real hardware with the ATA driver.

					<dillon at backplane.com>