User API still a goal?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Jun 3 11:54:40 PDT 2008

:No, I was thinking about the messaged system calls and emulation of e.g.
:Linux of FreeBSD system calls (in user-mode). As non-DragonFly native
:binaries wouldn't know about messaged system calls, it was intended to
:provide some kernel-protected (but user-mode) emulation layer, that
:translates those syscalls to DragonFly native messages.
:
:So an int 80h would call a function inside the user-mode process, which
:then translates the syscall to a proper message call. Of course that
:wouldn't be as fast as a direct system call.
:
:Regards,
:
:   Michael

    Ah yes, I remember that.  I still think that is the best way to go but
    I simply ran out of time trying to implement it.  It was holding up too
    much other work so I dropped it.

    Right now my personal push is HAMMER, for the 2.0 release, and then
    HAMMER replication (some time after 2.0), and then moving on to the
    main clustering goal.

					<dillon at backplane.com>