GSoC 2008 dma enhancements

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Jun 3 07:22:48 PDT 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:59:46 +0200
Max Lindner <max at malind.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for your answers and suggestions. I read the topic which was
> mentioned by Steve and I'm alternating between the dma suid and the suid
> helper executable solution which seems both quite reasonable.
>
> The 'problem' with both is that a users .forward file is viewable for
> everyone. But I think hiding the contents of a .forward file is somewhat
> paranoid.

	Not necessarily - one thought that springs to mind is to operate as
the recipient for processing the .forward file and/or delivering to the
recipient's mail box. With a helper executable the sequence could go:

acceptor
as sender:    dma accepts the mail, queues it determines local users
              if no local users then sends to smart host and stops
              for each local user invokes helper

helper
as root:      helper moves/copies? message to queue writable by recipient
              invokes deliverer as recipient

deliverer
as recipient: processes .forward and/or drops to mailbox
              removes message from queue