cvs commit: src/usr.bin Makefile src/usr.bin/undo Makefile undo.1 undo.c

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Tue Jun 3 11:01:02 PDT 2008

On Sunday 01 June 2008, Matthew Dillon wrote:
[...]
>   * Add a new utility called 'undo' which makes use of HAMMER capabilities
>     to retrieve prior versions of a file, even if that file has been deleted.
>
>     This utility can dump all prior versions of the file, generate a history
>     of transaction ids associated with the file, has a 'quick diff' relative
>     to the most recent change, and can also generate diffs for all versions
>     of the file.

It seems to me this utility is a bit misnamed; while it can be used to undo
changes to a file, it works more like cvs log. Suggestions for a better name
collected on irc include

fslog/filelog
hammer log (it _is_ hammer-specific, right?)
hist (a la http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/hist.html)

I hate to start another thread that's likely to degenerate in a
crazy-idea-contest, but now there is still time to change undo to something
more intuitive (if everybody agrees there is a problem) without breaking any
users...

Aggelos