How much are filesystem images trusted?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jul 19 11:31:20 PDT 2008

:I've been looking at the HAMMER code a bit.  It seems the mount will
:hang the kernel at recovery time if the tail of a undo record contains
:a zero size.  I've been told the filesystem is implicitly trusted, but
:I think a failed assert would be better than the stuck while loop.
:
:I have a small disk image to illustrate the hang at:
:http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~dion/hammer.small.bz2
:
:This obviously isn't a high priority, but I'm interested in hearing
:opinions on it (does this kind of bug interest us?).
:
:-- Dion

    I'm assuming you just poked the bits in the on-media UNDO FIFO to
    create the failure condition and it isn't a bug per-say, right?

    I think an assertion is fine, or even just have the mount return
    a failure.  Would you like to code up your patch suggestion?  We
    can commit it after the release.

					<dillon at backplane.com>