DragonFlyBSD 2.0 RELEASE SCHEDULE - Release will be on 20 July 2008

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Sun Jul 13 08:55:09 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:22:05AM -0400, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> I know Joerg's used VMWare to simulate multiple hosts building pkgsrc,

Mostly a side effect of bad concurrency in the kernel and lack of
alternatives. Neither Xen/HVM nor KVM where anywhere as fast.

> though I recall him saying something about how that wouldn't work out over
> multiple separate hosts (i.e. distributed over multiple locations)  I have
> not tried it yet, and I don't know how much of a speed improvement it
> gains.

I wouldn't do it for a non-local setup. But with a quad core it should
push build time quite a bit under on week. Depending on memory etc, it
might be good enough for a dual core to do native builds and having more
jobs than cpus helps to avoid stalls.

Joerg