Naive HAMMER question

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 15 10:16:51 PST 2008

Bill Hacker wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
. ..
My personal opinion is that the kernel should be responsible for
filename translation rather than the filesystem. HAMMER just sees
a character string, it doesn't know or care what format it is in.

Heavily dependent on UTF-8 (and several Chinese encodings) here - I'd
take that a step further towards isolation/agnosticism, and place the
burden on the userland application...
The character encoding has to be specified somewhere.  Do we envision
having differently encoded filenames on the same filesystem?  Filenames
that are encoded differently than the contents of the file itself?  Does
the filesystem need to know if a file's contents even have an encoding?
I'm sure these are very old questions, but I know little about how file-
systems are designed because I've never designed one (and I'm glad :o)