cvs commit: src/usr.bin Makefile src/usr.bin/pkg_radd Makefile pkg_radd.1 pkg_radd.sh

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Sat Jan 5 10:17:37 PST 2008

Hasso Tepper wrote:
Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 04:02:43PM +0100, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
I think /etc/settings.conf is a poor choice for a file name. It's
too generic. Why don't we call it /etc/pkgs.conf or something like
that?
The rationale was to have a generic file to put in various settings,
so that we don't have to add a file for each single configuration.
I'd like to have a config file which is similar to rc.conf, just not
for rc but for the system configuration.
That's a very bad idea. rc.conf does have one task, and does it
well. settings.conf can be used for a lot of different apps that
have nothing in common. If you look at windows world, that reminds
me of the registry: one place shared by a lot of apps that have
become a huge mess.
On unix world the philosophy is to have a lot of small apps that do
one task and do it well, so i think that with configuration files
we should do the same.
In this case i think the best thing for just one setting would be
an environment variable.
+1
+1

Cheers,