Globbing

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Feb 15 08:59:17 PST 2008

On Fri, February 15, 2008 10:55 am, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> This thread caused me to google a bit and I found ipython:
>   http://ipython.scipy.org/
> and I've just picked my jaw off the floor.  It has everything I'm
> looking for -- full access to the python interpreter AND full access
> to the shell.  All the best features of shells like bash, the regular
> python interactive interpreter, and programs like Mathematica.  In
> fact it has a "shell mode" that should, in principle, work as a
> regular command shell.  Time to start exploring.

Implementing a language-based shell happens to most every language;
there's psh, the Perl shell, for instance:

http://www.focusresearch.com/gregor/sw/psh/

There's also perlsh or Shell.pm, which come with Perl.  Other wierdness
includes a rewrite of all the basic "Unix" utilities as perl actions:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/File-Tools/lib/File/Tools.pm

I recall seeing some spot on the web years ago where people were
recreating all those utilities as separate perl scripts.  I wish I could
find it; it would be very easy to add in some of the improvements similar
to what we are talking about.

For other languages - lazy searching turns up these things:

Interactive Ruby Shell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Ruby_Shell

tcl shell?
http://fringe.davesource.com/Fringe/Computers/Languages/tcl_tk/tcl_shell.html

php shell:
http://jan.kneschke.de/projects/php-shell/

Etc., etc.  Just like every text editor eventually expands enough to
include a mail reader, every programming language expands enough to have
its own shell.