HAMMER update 06-Feb-2008

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Feb 10 18:45:52 PST 2008

:
:>      Considering how few items are left on the list for HAMMER, it will
:>      likely be production-ready long before the mid-year release.
:
:Do you think you'll get some of the clustering functionality in before the mid
:year release, like volumes spanning multiple hosts? What about booting
:DragonFly off a HAMMER filesystem?
:
:Petr

    I honestly don't know.  The cluster functionality is the holy grail of
    the project, but it requires significant work not just on the
    filesystem, but on the kernel's entire filesystem data caching model.
    Big chunks of that work have already been done (new namecache, kernel is
    now responsible for namespace and data space locking, etc), but there
    are still bug chunks left.

    I do expect the semi-real-time mirroring technology to be in by mid-year,
    because that will be directly tied into the UNDO fifo and the UNDO fifo
    is needed for crash recovery.

					<dillon at backplane.com>