dma user config

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Sun Feb 3 13:53:55 PST 2008

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:hey,
:
:thinking about it, I don't think we should have a per-user config for dma=
:=2E=20
:  It doesn't really work out when using aliases and forwarding.
:
:Example:
:
:some cron job running as "nobody" mails output.  You have an alias line
:
:nobody: myuser
:myuser: myrealuser at example.com
:
:now if you have a smarthost in your per-user config, how should dma ever =
:
:access this file?  I don't want dma to be setuid root.
:
:Postfix and sendmail usually assume one smarthost and one user/password.
    That isn't a smarthost.  That's a forwarding address.  The MTA delivers
    to example.com using its config, either smarthosting it through some
    specifically configured smarthost like myrelay.mydomain.com or doing MX
    lookups and delivering it itself.
yes, but smarthosts usually have a user/password associated, to prevent
the world from relaying through the box.  but it doesn't make sense to
have different user/passwords for each sending user, no?  Actually I'm not
sure how such a config would look like.  A multi user system might want to
use a real mailer then, I guess.

cheers
  simon