HAMMER update 06-Feb-2008

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Thu Feb 7 14:22:56 PST 2008

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    [vol_no:8][sanity:1][offset:55]	(sanity bit is always 1 to catch
					 programming errors).
    That allows 32768 TB per volume.  I will probably steal a few more bits
    to abstract out a blockmap layer, but I can't imagine needing more then
    another 7 bits, giving us 256 TB per volume (x 256 volumes == 65536 TB).
What is a volume?  Like a disk?  I think we should shoot for considerably
more than 256TB per disk.  Looking at the current growth, that's about 10
years from now.  And keep in mind that DragonFly already exists over 4
years, so time is running fast.

Sounds scary, but I think we should really consider if wasting bits is
worth it.

cheers
  simon