RCS Discussion

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Aug 9 09:50:07 PDT 2008

:Absolutely.  I'd like to take this a step further:  Mailing patches and
:explaining users how to apply the patch ("first revert patch #3, then
:apply this, then apply patch #3a") is bothersome.  I'd like to be able to
:push my changes somewhere (like on a leaf "official private repo") and
:have people pull the changes from there.

    I agree with this sentiment.  Whatever we choose must facilitate
    an ability by all DragonFly developers to serve out change sets
    via their leaf accounts.

:> This would mean anonymous access and having the utility as part of base.
:> There may be a better strategy; I'm thinking in terms of the functionality
:>  we use now with CVS and cvsup.
:
:I absolutely do not think that the tool has to be part of base.  cvsup is
:not part of base either.  An existing pkgsrc binary package on the iso
:shoud suffice.
:
:cheers
:  simon

    I want to huck cvsup into the dumpster.  Whatever source system we use
    needs to have a native remote update capability... and I think all the
    ones we are currently contemplating already do, don't they?  SVN and
    GIT both certainly do.

					<dillon at backplane.com>