RCS Discussion

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Aug 8 07:32:23 PDT 2008

On Fri, August 8, 2008 9:20 am, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

> *Why* does this require the tool to be in base?  Having it in pkgsrc and
> having it pre-installed on isos/installations seems like a good fit as
> well.

The two example circumstances I can think of are CVS in base and perl in
base (back through FreeBSD 4.x).  Having cvs in base worked because cvs
never changed; I think we have had one minor update in 5 years.  Perl
didn't work as well because there were significant differences in
capability between versions, and other software outside of the base system
depended on that software and needed the upgrades.

Most any RCS system that isn't CVS (or... sccs?) is going to go through
some series of updates, so yeah, keeping it out of the base system and in
pkgsrc seems like a good idea.