dfbsd nfs client - file descriptor leak

Rick Macklem rick at snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca
Wed Apr 23 07:25:28 PDT 2008

> The problem is: when accessing files from dfbsd client, nfs server
> "leaks" file descriptors

Hmm, interesting... nfs servers don't open files (nfsv4 has an Open, but it
is really a type of file lock and not a POSIX like open).

My thought is that it might be doing a lot of reconnects and ending up
with lots of sockets on the server? You could take a look at "netstat -a" on
the server box while this is happenning and see if there are lots of connections
from the client (or switch to using UDP and see if that makes the problem go
away).

One of the problems in an NFS client using TCP is deciding how
long to wait for a response on a TCP connection before giving up and creating
a new connection. The really old BSD code waited until the TCP layer decided
the connection was dead, but that could take a very long time. My current
client (not what is in DragonflyBSD) waits 1 minute, which seems to be
working out pretty well, but...

Good luck with it, rick