first stab at simple mailer

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Thu Mar 22 04:35:38 PDT 2007

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
    But you still need to efficiently queue the mail for forwarding.  You
    can't just make separate connections to the target for each recipient.
qmail does it...
qmail certainly disqualifies as network friendly. For this and other
reasons.
yes, qmail is not a good reference.  nevertheless, I don't think trying really hard to save on connections is the objective here.  I'm talking about 5 to 20 mails per day.  seriously, that's *nothing*.  mail servers get more spam than that.  I want to keep the mail agent simple.  underpowered on purpose.  just for the "install and mail works" thing, not for the "hey, I can also run my mailinglists across this mail agent" thing.  just imagine a blood simple smarthost delivery agent and add queue + local delivery.  if something is feasible, then it could be a feature.  if something requires advanced techniques (queue daemon, whatnot), then it is not the place to put it.

I know Matt has been doing big provider business since long time, but that's not the target.  dead. simple.  like mined vs emacs/vi.  just that *something* is there.

cheers
 simon
signature.asc