SMP/UP kernel S01E02

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Sat Mar 24 15:31:24 PDT 2007

Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
On 3/24/07, Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com> wrote:
Well, I've been thinking of the SMP/UP issue many times, and the best
solution would be if SMP kernels could boot on UP machines. I have
plenty UP boxes and a few SMP boxes to test on. I am not claiming
anyhing, this is just 'food for thought'.
Don't they? I thought the only problem for most cases is that the SMP
kernels do more heavyweight locking and are therefore slower, and
without the gain of parallelism on UP it's a pure loss.
DragonFly SMP expects multiple processors, and will die if it doesn't
find any, iirc when it tries to detect other APICs. As an example of
working SMP-kernel-on-UP-hardware, see NetBSD (which doesn't involve
boottime binary patching, btw).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard