first stab at simple mailer

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Thu Mar 22 05:01:06 PDT 2007

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
    But you still need to efficiently queue the mail for forwarding.  You
    can't just make separate connections to the target for each recipient.
qmail does it...
The claim is that making separate connections is usually faster (fewer
round-trip delays) because of how SMTP works.  It does use more
bandwidth but this is unlikely to be significant on most sites,
most of the time.
These days however, when people send attachments megabytes in size (or
viruses do it for them), I don't know whether that claim is still
true.
1. I think it *is* unfair towards the receiving MX to send the same mail multiple times.

2. I think it is *negligible* for locally generated, private + cron mails.

3. not trying to aggregate mail delivery on one MX makes the code *SO MUCH EASIER*.  seriously.  think about what you need:

a. central coordination instance
b. MX/A lookups for all domain parts of all mails
c. choose one MX
d. now find all mails which could potentially be sent there
e. weed out rejects
f. start over
point is, you can't say "hey, they have the same MXes", because different domains could share only one MX out of three, for example.  you have to check for every MX connect which other mails could be delivered there.  definitely not a necessary option for the first round.

cheers
 simon
signature.asc