Vkernel issues

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sun Jul 22 11:58:35 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I have just updated a dual-core Opteron machine to DragonFly-1.9 to play
with the new SMP-improved virtual kernels.

First, I tried to map the virtual CPUs to the real ones and failed:

. /kernel.debug -m 128m -r /var/vkernel/rootimg.01 -I auto:bridge0 -n 2 -l map
Bad target CPU number at '0�&(P�&(��&(p�&(�C$(�[$]$((]$(�_$(�b$(�c$(��$(�$(!�$(.x$(�x$(�B$('

The second issue is a minor one.
Virtual kernel options: -I auto:bridge0 -n 2 -l any

top capture on a virtual machine :

load averages:  0.94,  0.26,  0.09                     up 0+00:03:36  17:53:57
10 processes:  10 running
CPU0 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  100% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle
CPU1 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  9.7% system,  0.0% interrupt, 90.3% idle

The first CPU is almost always shown with a 100% system time.
This is also true with a UP vkernel.

Francois Tigeot

More information about the Kernel mailing list