AMD64 port

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Sun Jul 15 12:31:09 PDT 2007

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:We absolutely need to rename the platform (again!)!  It is simply _not_ pc32, but it is "x86".  The platform can be used for both 64bit x86 and 32bit x86.  Only the cpu part changes.
:
:And while we're there we should also rename "amd64" to "x86-64" (that's the name which gets used nowadays) and "i386" to "x86-32" (to keep consistency).
    We are not renaming the platforms.  The platform names do not have to
    correspond to any sort of official designation.  That is what the machine
    and machine architecture names are for, and those generally have to
    correspond to GCC architecture specifications.
Of course they do not have to correspond, but they should reflect something people can understand.  I do not understand why amd64 bits should be living under "pc32", really.

cheers
 simon