Simon 'corecode' Schubert
corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Jul 25 01:54:54 PDT 2007
as a 1.11 topic I think we should change the vnode/file interface to make more sense. these are of course just stupid ideas to illustrate what I am thinking of:
- all per-fdesc-I/O runs through a struct file and not directly to a vnode
- vnodes only represent logical entities (on disk), NOT devices or whatnot.
- thus drop specfs, this always seemed switched in at the wrong place in the stack
- this will allow us to do device cloning
- a slim vnode interface makes it easier to do support a...
- userland vfs interface which can support something like the kernel API, so userland drivers have a chance to be easily ported to the kernel.
do I make sense? feedback expected!
Serve - BSD +++ RENT this banner advert +++ ASCII Ribbon /"\
Work - Mac +++ space for low â¬â¬â¬ NOW!1 +++ Campaign \ /
Party Enjoy Relax | http://dragonflybsd.org Against HTML \
Dude 2c 2 the max ! http://golden-apple.biz Mail + News / \
More information about the Kernel