vke & link level addressing

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Aug 5 14:18:25 PDT 2007

:Looking at implementing this so my vkernels can be configured
:via dhcp without trusting the vkernel's dhcp client
:to give the correct hostname option..
:
:Should be pretty straightforward, but 2 questions (at least) come to mind:
:
:1) What should the syntax be?
:
:   Thinking just allowing an ethernet address in place of the IP
:   address, e.g. auto:bridge0:001122334455 or perhaps
:   auto:bridge0:0x001122334455 .. Existing use of ':' prevents
:   'standard' ':' notation ..

    Things start to get confusing when you pile on the features.  Instead
    we might want to go to a kernel environment 'variable=data' style
    syntax.

    In fact, how about a way to specify an out-of-band /boot/loader.conf
    file on the command line?