syslink effort update

Jose timofonic soytimofonico at yahoo.es
Sat Apr 28 08:07:58 PDT 2007

On 2007-04-27 04:38, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    Here's an update on the syslink work.  After much
>thought on how to
>    best approach the problem of accessing machine
>resources over a remote
>    link I finally realized that building a clustered
>operating system
>    requires sharing far more then just VM objects,
>processes, and devices.

[snip nice techy info]

Hello,

I don't have the enough knowedge for understand this
in a depth way, but isn't this something like the
Plan9's 9P protocol? Here for a small portion of text
taken from wikipedia:

"9P (or the Plan 9 Filesystem Protocol or Styx), is a
network protocol developed for the Plan 9 from Bell
Labs distributed operating system as the means of
connecting the components of a Plan 9 system. The file
is a central metaphor of Plan 9, and many things are
represented as files, including windows, network
connections, processes, and almost anything else
available in the operating system.

9P encourages caching and also serving of synthetic
files (e.g. /proc to represent processes), unlike
NFS."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9P)

If it's basicly the same, what's the reason to
reinvent the wheel(TM)? If not, what's the differences
and the cool stuff compared to the equivalent
solutions?

Best regards...

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com