Soekris net4801 and DragonFly BSD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Apr 10 14:46:07 PDT 2007

:That is indeed correct. I have tried a couple of things, but no cigar.
:
:I have tried to change /etc/ttys on the Live CD file system before it
:was NFS mounted, didn't work.
:But as far as I can see it's the NFS exported fs.
:I have tried changing the read-only export to a read-write export.
:
:Are these things correct, or do I need to setup a server first and
:then setup a NetBoot server, and not use the Live CD NetBoot.
:
:>     There are also clearly some problems with calls to /bin/kenv in
:>     the diskless rc script, probably because kenv was moved to /usr/
:> bin and
:>     the rc script has the wrong location.
:
:Being able to do this from the Live CD NetBoot would be great!
:I have 2 Soekris net4801, 1 net4501 and 2 VIA Machines that I would
:like to rebuild with this. They are now all running OpenBSD.
:
:Mischa

    I think I see the problem.  When you export from NFS it exports the
    actual filesystem, not any overlays on that filesystem.  When you
    boot a live CD there are memory filesystem overlays that allow you
    to modify files and generally get a working environment, but the NFS
    export is going to be the unmodified CD itself.

    In order to give /etc/ttys the entry it needs to have you either need
    to export from a copy on a hard drive that you can modify, or you need
    to burn a new Live CD with the modified /etc/ttys.

    Considering the setup you want to use, I first suggest getting things
    working using a hard disk based file system as your export instead
    of the CD, then once you get things working play around with the
    nrelease build and build a custom CD image that you can burn that has
    the modifications you want.

					<dillon at backplane.com>