Support for nForce4 AC'97

Alexander Leidinger Alexander+News at Leidinger.net
Mon May 15 12:52:30 PDT 2006

Quoting Piotr Zgórecki <pyoter at xxxxxxxxx> (Mon, 15 May 2006 20:03:04 +0200):

> On 14 May 2006 21:30:21 GMT
> Rumko <rumcic at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > After adding the ID of the chip "0x005910de" to ich.c into the switch statement
> > in ich_pci_probe(), I get "pcm0: ac97 link rate calibration timed out after
> > 1920815 us" during bootup and there is no sound.
> >
> > Anyone have more experience with this onboard sound card? Or perhaps even know
> > a way to make it work?
>
> Not that it'll help you much, but I got sound on my ASUS AN8 Ultra
> working by just adding the id, the same value. I did this a couple of
> days ago and have been listening to music and watching movies without
> problems. I'm on DragonFly 1.4.4-RELEASE.

Some HDA chips are connected in "compatibility mode", some are
connected in HDA mode. So for some chips it works to add the ID, and
for some chips it just doesn't work, since the hardware (as in "traces
on the board") can't be configured to do both.

An interested soul may want to have a look at the much improved
soundsystem in FreeBSD-current. I'm sure a lot of bugfixes and
can be copied verbatim.

Bye,
Alexander.

--