ipfw deprecation

Scott Ullrich geekgod at geekgod.com
Thu Jun 29 07:57:04 PDT 2006

joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:51:26AM +0200, Andreas Hauser wrote:

I would like to deprecate ipfw (and dummynet, because it needs ipfw)
for the next release and remove it in 1.7.
Can you please show that pf is as fast as ipfw?

I don't care about the speed of ipfw as long as it adds another set of
hooks all over the place and abuses the mbuf interface. If someone is
working on porting the pfil'ed version, that removes at least the first
problem and reduces the second. Otherwise I frankly don't care.
Joerg

Guys, has everyone failed to see that someone has already submitted a
PFIL-ized IPFW2?   I don't see why everyone is making such a huge fuss
over this when someone is already taking the time to do the work.