cowloop technology

talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Jan 20 11:25:31 PST 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Well, I asked because I *have* measured and found no measurable
> performance lost in real-world scenarios.  Can you be more specific
> about the reference you are thinking of?

I have measured also, and i cannot agree with you in general. I have
an Athlon machine, single processor on which FreeBSD-6 works very well,
and i cannot see any performance difference with FreeBSD-4, and i have
a P4 machine, hyperthreaded ,in which disk operations are rather slow
(yes i know enabling hyperthreading is dumb). Since it is well known that
lock operations are cheaper on Athlon than P4, i am not much surprised but
there are machines on which FreeBSD-6 is definitely slower. This being said,
i like so much the added functionalities in FreeBSD-6 that i don't care.

--
Michel Talon