lookupd-style daemon

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jan 28 10:28:40 PST 2006

:
:Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Yah, libcaps is indeed stable, though not enabled by default.  A
:>     sysctl kern.caps_enabled=1 will enable it.  The only issue with it
:>     is probably one with unbounded internal kernel memory allocation.
:
:Hmm,
:
:I just tried to compile the stuff in test/caps. No success, because
:libcaps is missing. Adding libcaps to lib/Makefile makes the build die
:in lwkt_thread.c.
:
:Sascha

    Ok, I've lobotomized libcaps so it compiles again.  Now the four
    CAPS test programs in /usr/src/test/caps will compile and run.

    The most interesting thing about libcaps are the caps_* files.
    These contain test code to portably encode and decode system structures.

    The programs in /usr/src/test/caps are as follows:

    caps_e	Encode portable password entry demonstration.
		'/tmp/caps_e root'

    caps_d	Decode portable password entry demonstration.
		/tmp/caps_e root | /tmp/caps_d

    caps_s	CAPS server demonstration

    caps_c	CAPS client demonstration

    The idea of creating a lookupd is to combine the four... have a CAPS
    service that e.g. does password file lookups, and an API to access its.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>