jemalloc?

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Tue Dec 12 09:11:17 PST 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 08:04 am, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> Vlad Galu wrote:
> >   It would be nice to have it in base, though, and to enable the
> > users to choose between the implementations using mechanisms such as
> > libmap.conf (BTW, do we want that?). I suppose there were reasons not
> > to walk this path and since I'm very new to DragonFly I'd be more
> > than happy to learn them.
>
> If it is better, we should take it.  No need to sit on old code if
> better one is available.  Of course the notion is a very subjective
> one, like where to put one's goals:  few memory usage or higher speed.
> A real world test (e.g. buildworld) with tracking memory usage and
> speed could help to decide.

Search the mailing archives for freebsd-current.  There's been a lot of
discussion around jemalloc vs phkmalloc, along with a lot benchmarks or
both.  I believe the main threads were from earlier in the year, just
prior to jemalloc entering the -current tree.

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.google.ca/search?num=30&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&newwindow=1&q=site%3Afreebsd.org++jemalloc+phkmalloc&btnG=Search

--
Freddie Cash