NATA update

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Tue Dec 12 07:16:27 PST 2006

YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
If I boot a UP kernel, it proceeds to "start_init: trying /sbin/init",
but then stuck there(the backtrace in DDB is from console handler).
Could you put the dmesg and backtrace of the UP kernel online? The panic
backtrace from last week was from my faulty locking use in the device
timeout handling...

One thing caught my attention in dmesg from SMP kernel:
  nata0 [tentative] failed to probe at port 0x1f0 irq 14 on isa0
  nata1 [tentative] failed to probe at port 0x170 irq 15 on isa0
vs
  ata2 [tentative] failed to probe at port 0x1f0 irq 14 on isa0
  ata3 [tentative] failed to probe at port 0x170 irq 15 on isa0
You can't specify nata0 at isa and nata1 at isa, they have to be ata0
and ata1. The device option name is nata, but the devicename is actually
ata, to remain compatible with the old ATA code (it shares majors device
numbers). In theory you can have device nata and ata0 at isa and ata1 at
isa, but I really doubt anyone is running DragonFlyBSD on a machine with
a non-PnP ISA ATA controller ;). So you can just remove those two lines
from the kernel and not have these messages (btw, they're harmless).

FWIW, I put the kernel configs here:
  http://les.ath.cx/DragonFly/FIREBOLT.SMP.nata
  http://les.ath.cx/DragonFly/FIREBOLT.nata
Other than the isa stuff, they're fine. I don't think I'm using
ATA_STATIC_ID much anymore, maybe in atapicd and atapist... atadisk uses
device_get_unit() now unconditionally.

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard