superfetch

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Wed Sep 14 18:08:41 PDT 2005

Hiten Pandya wrote:
Windows has a technology like binary pre-fetching for quite some time;
it exists in Windows XP.  This just looks like marketing stunt to me,
evidently because the said feature was not publicised very well.
According to the article, the XP technology (which seems to work fairly
well, IMHO) just optimizes disk access patterns.  This would also
prefetch pieces into memory.

One concern about this SuperFetch is this piece:

"SuperFetch has another component to it, which apparently can boost
overall system performance. Vista will be able to use the storage space
of peripheral storage devices such as Flash memory sticks to expand its
virtual memory space. Users who are connecting a 512 MByte or 1 GByte
stick to their system will see an immediate bump in virtual memory
space, Microsoft said."

As Jeroen mentioned, flash devices have limited erase cycles (~100k);
you don't really want to use them as swap.  I'm not getting the thinking
behind this bit...