bug tracking system

Peter Avalos pavalos at theshell.com
Wed Sep 14 00:59:53 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 11:56:09PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I've been mulling it over for a few days but what Rahul is saying is
>     pretty much mirroring what I have been thinking.  I'd far prefer we
>     go with an open-source solution, or write our own.
>
>     Frankly, I'm not impressed with ANY of the bug tracking system out
>     there.  They place way too big a burden on the user reporting the bug.
>     All of them.  I'm also mulling over just sitting down and writing one
>     myself using stuff from Backplane (a database, templater, and really
>     nice C cursors implementation).  It may just happen, I am in dicussions
>     now and there's a good chance I can get the software GPL'd.

In my opinion these are non-issues that Simon has basically already
answered.  As far as the user interaction, jira seems to have the most
logical workflow out there for the user when properly configured.  I'd
rather see your talents go towards making DragonFly better -- not
re-inventing a bug tracking system.  In my opinion JIRA is quite good,
and it has a no-cost license.  I don't think the company is going under
or will rescind the open-source license.  Have you seen some of their
customers?  http://www.atlassian.com/about/customers.jsp

--Peter
pgp00008.pgp