Install Log

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Tue Oct 18 13:13:42 PDT 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     Ok, well even though I am responding to the first message in this
>     chain I did read through all the other responses and, generally
>     speaking, there was a lot of good information there.
>
>     I really don't want to put the sources on the release ISO, for
>     many reasons which I will iterate.
>
> 	* Any sources will become instantly obsolete the day they are
> 	  released.

I don't really agree with this characterization.  Consider the sources
for a RELEASE branch.  98% of them won't change during the entire
lifecycle of the branch.  I wouldn't call that "instantly obsolete".

> 	* Anyone who can download the release can also download the
> 	sources.
> 	  This is certainly not entirely true for people who get the
> 	  release on a mailed CD, but it is again a matter of the vast
> 	  majority of people having access to the internet.

A nightly tarball of the sources would help make this "more true".  As
has been pointed out, not everyone has/wants to use CVS/CVSup.

> 	* I want DragonFly to be small enough to fit on other people's
> 	  multi-session CD's (I don't want our official dist to itself
> 	  be multi-session).  This would not prevent you from creating
> 	  your own multi-session CD, however, since DragonFly has no
> 	  problems recognizing such CDs.

I'm not sure what you consider "no problems," but last time I looked,
mounting a given session from a multi-session CD was utterly brutal,
requiring you to manually input the start+end tracks of the session (or
something similarly painstaking.)  This may have changed since then.

-Chris