cvs commit: src/sys/i386/include tls.h src/gnu/usr.bin/cc34/cc_prep/config dragonfly-spec.h src/gnu/usr.bin/cc34/cc_prep/config/i386 dragonfly.h src/lib/csu/i386 crt1.c src/lib/libc/gen tls.c src/lib/libc/i386/sys cerror.S src/lib/libc/include libc_private.h ...

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu May 12 10:26:34 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:18:30AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     For DragonFly-native code, %gs is only used a certainly way, period.
>     Otherwise how do you expect us to be able to support TLS ?  TLS
>     address lookups absolutely require that we have full control over the
>     TCB.

But that is something a program can deal with e.g. by wrapping the
necessary calls. This is similiar to the wrapping necessary for
certain NDIS drivers in the kernel. Sure, the program has to know
what it is doing esp. when dealing with signals. But it is up to the
program. I do not want to force a permanent %gs value on the programs.

Joerg