cvs commit: src/sys/i386/include tls.h src/gnu/usr.bin/cc34/cc_prep/config dragonfly-spec.h src/gnu/usr.bin/cc34/cc_prep/config/i386 dragonfly.h src/lib/csu/i386 crt1.c src/lib/libc/gen tls.c src/lib/libc/i386/sys cerror.S src/lib/libc/include libc_private.h ...

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu May 12 09:05:25 PDT 2005

:Well, the same block used by the syscall layer could be used here too.
:It has to be thread-local [thread-index is not an option, there can be
:an arbitrary high number of threads]. TCB is not good, the kernel sohuld
:not depend on %gs mappings of userland programs.

     I don't see why not.  It makes a lot of sense to integrate the TCB
     requirement into the kernel.  The format is already under our
     strict control.  The kernel itself would not require the TCB, but
     the RTLD already does (to support __thead declarations), and the
     syscall layer certainly could too.  The kernel could easily set up a
     minimal TCB/%gs automatically on program start if that were deemed
     necessary.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>