link: "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 11 04:23:01 PST 2005

-On [20050111 12:42], Christopher Vance (christopher at xxxxxx) wrote:
>It's the use of shell commands to change make's behaviour - and not
>just file content - that I consider a significant part of the problem.

Nice to see you saying that, because I was wondering if a good build tool
needs any external dependencies at all in the terms of shell scripts.

The only things I can envision are things like compiler compilers and such
tools that need to generate file X from template file Y.

>I think building would be more maintainable if the shell stuff was up
>front to set parameters, etc., before doing any file construction, and
>then never got invoked again in all the myriad recursions.

I agree to that.  I am just hard thinking if this is a reasonable
assumption.  I cannot envision much right now that need external shell
scripting or such given a sufficiently decent command set inside the build
tool.

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth
and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods.