link: "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Sun Jan 9 07:50:32 PST 2005

On Sunday, 9. January 2005 16:39, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > I've been mulling over the pdf file linked here
> > http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html
> > Recursive Make Considered Harmful, Peter Miller
> This paper outlines a lot of problems of gmake and the use of gmake.
> It doesn't apply to BSD make so such, because most of our tree uses
> very small Makefiles which can't be merged into a simple master
> Makefile without a lot of hassle, possible even reducing speed for
> certain usage patterns.

quite contrary. i think our build system is nice and polished, but sucks wrt
speed. it runs down the tree multiple times. that's just evil. here, figuring
out that nothing has to be done (make quickworld after make quickworld) needs
several minutes. with a complete dependancy graph, this could be figured out
in seconds (see kernel make).

cheers
  simon

--