phk malloc, was (Re: ptmalloc2)

Eduardo Tongson propolice at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 21:45:11 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:10:40 -0500, Dan Melomedman <dan at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's only fragile because the OS doesn't guarantee preallocated memory.
> That's all. Anyway, I've made the decision to only run software like
> this on Linux. Linux actually has the system-wide overcommit switch through
> 'sysctl'. I wish I could switch it on and off per process through an
> environment variable instead. Oh well, can't have it all.

Well that would be Messagewall's problem if it does that exactly what you say.
It should not be killed or act funny if it gets errors in memory
allocation but should gracefully regulate itself by releasing recently
used address space. And it should log the errors it got with memory
allocation with the OS, does it?

--
Eduardo Tongson
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6033AC66