Fatal trap 12 on booting GERERIC kernel

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Thu Aug 11 01:49:58 PDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:20:50PM +0900, Noritoshi Demizu wrote:
> > The latest GENERIC kernel fails to boot on my machine.
>
> When I reported this problem, I chose multi user mode in my all trys.
>
> I just find that, if I choose single user mode, the '#' prompt of
> /bin/sh is successfully displayed.  And the "pwd" command successfully
> prints "/".  But when I typed "ls", the kernel paniced in generic_bzero.
>
> I did buildworld & installworld both yesterday and today.  Yesterdays'
> GENERIC kernel works fine with both yesterdays' and today's userland.
> But today's GENERIC kernel does not work with yesterdays' nor today's
> userland.

Yes, I'm seeing this too, and I suspect that the calculation in
vop_write_dirent() is wrong; I inserted a printf() before the bzero()
and found that the second argument, or

  dp->d_reclen - offsetof(struct dirent, d_name) - dp->d_namlen,

can be negative.  Try reverting the users of vop_write_dirent()
to the previous revisions and see if it helps.

Cheers.