DragonFlyBSD / 386BSD 1.0 - modularity

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Mon Aug 1 16:58:14 PDT 2005

On Monday,  1 August 2005 at 10:55:54 -0700, David Leimbach wrote:
> On 8/1/05, Alex Burke <alexjeffburke at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been reading up allot on the history of BSD based operating
>> systems, and I know that Net/FreeBSDs came from 386BSD 0.1 (based
>> heavily on 4.3 Net/2 tape with missing files replaced) with patch kits
>> applied.
>>
>> As I understand it, 386BSD 1.0 was the continuation of 0.1 but with
>> the kernel modularized. Since I have read that DragonFlyBSD aims to
>> eventually try to run large components (such as VFS) in user land, I
>> was wondering whether conceptually they are at all similar? What is
>> the eventual aim of DragonFlyBSD and userland services?
>
> Perhaps asking on the DragonFlyBSD lists would yield better results? :)
>

>> I realise that this might seem stupid question since the code has
>> changed so much (4.4BSD-Lite code integrated, VM system...etc) but I
>> guess this is my attempt to try to understand things better, hopefully
>> with the aim of one day being able to help in some form.
>>
>> I also wanted to ask if anybody knew any good books about the
>> architecture of BSD systems that can be read by someone no already
>> knowledgeable about kernel design.
>
> The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System is a
> great book for that.
>
> As is The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System.

Since Alex was talking about 386BSD, I should point out that Bill
Jolitz also wrote a book about it.  I've had it in my hands and
browsed through it, and it didn't look too bad, but I didn't buy it
(pretty much the only BSD book I don't have).  It's not very relevant
nowadays.

Greg
--
Finger grog at xxxxxxxxx for PGP public key.
pgp00001.pgp