libc update progress?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Apr 30 09:28:21 PDT 2005

    I am not going to be here today. I'm going to be sailing on the Bay, so
    guys please don't blow this up into a bigger mess.

    We do expect some major breakage temporarily.  That said, I *do* want
    all the old libraries to not only work but also be installed by a
    build on HEAD.

    Could someone (Joroen?) build a PREVIEW world and then then create a
    new directory, say /usr/src/compat, /usr/src/compat/lib,
    /usr/src/compat/lib/i386, and check-in the actual *binary* libraries?
    Then build a Makefile infrastructure to install the legacy libs as
    part of HEADs build/install process?

    Joerg, don't break the stat() series of system calls yet.  We WILL
    adjust those, but I want to make the compatibility layer work before
    we do so the old libc can continue to work with the new syscalls.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>