gcc versions and freebsd-4 compatibility

Yury Tarasievich grog at grsu.by
Mon Apr 11 02:38:01 PDT 2005

Re changing the default compiler, throwing out gcc-2.95.4 etc. I hope this
doesn't mean loosing the existing binary packages level compatibility between
freebsd-4 and dfbsd?

Of course, I'm not talking kernel-structures-using applications here. However,
currently I'm successfully using "dfbsd" xorg-6.8.1 packages on freebsd-4
(and recently I was using "freebsd" xfree packages on dfbsd). Conversely, on
freebsd-5.3, even simple freebsd-4 user-land apps using something from libc
(was it stpcpy?), already ceased working. You tell what's looking better.